Friday Free-For-All – 06/17/16

FFFA (1)

I’ve decided to get rid of my fancy gym membership. It was great while it lasted, but I haven’t been to any gym location or any classes since… March? Yeah, early March. I’m basically paying $40 a month on the off chance that I get really motivated to start going to Body Pump classes. Which I don’t foresee happening any time soon. I still want treadmill access during the winter, though, so I’ll be going back to my good old standby, Planet Fitness. It’s not great, but it’s cheap, and I can use a treadmill when I need to. Then I can use the $30 a month in savings for other things that I actually do, likeΒ my yoga passes, or spin classes.

Ben is officially on summer break. I can’t lie, I’m burning with envy. I get up in the morning to get ready for work and he’s still in dreamland. I turn out the lights at the responsible adult hour of 10:30, and he’s still up binge-watching Parks and Rec and having a beer. Being married to a teacher is tough when it comes to vacations. He’s not planning to just sit on his butt all summer, but right now, I’m super jealous of his free and easy schedule.

Not much improvement on the tailbone.Β The pain level has remained fairly level, and it’s now been a week since the initial fall. I’m starting to think that it might be a good idea to consult a professional just in case there’s something more going on. The good news is, I have my annual physical on Thursday, so I can discuss it with my doctor then.

Trekkie Skort - Black

I’ve already made my first Athleta purchase. I know I said I need to be strong and not spend all my extra cash on clothes, but this deal was too good to pass up. Employees receive a 70% discount on any merchandise that’s considered “damaged.” I got this Trekkie skort for $19.20 just because the drawstring was broken. It’s cute and functional and perfect for summer. #noregrets

Do you have a gym membership? Do you actually use it (unlike me)?

17 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 06/17/16

1. veryrach says:

I cancelled my gym membership too! And then I went and moved and now I live literally 6 minutes from that gym and I’m kindaaaa regretting it, but I’ll probably regret it a lot more in the winter lol They need seasonal gym memberships!

Sorry your tailbone is still a mess – but good that you’re able to see your doctor this week … definitely worth a check.

Have to laugh on the vacation thing for Ben πŸ™‚ Also on the Althleta – I think the key is realizing you WILL spend *some* money, but you could actually make a checklist of criteria to help maintain objectivity. Because great deals can be seductive πŸ™‚

We had a gym membership the first year and a half when we moved here, and at first it worked perfectly for me and the overall schedule … then the kids were in the ‘intermediate school’ (grades 5-6, attached to the middle school) and the times were different and I wasn’t able to manage the gym along with my work schedule changing. So I was neither running nor going to the gym! Ugh.

• Rae says:

Oh, I definitely will spend some money, but at the moment I’m really focused on filling existing gaps in my wardrobe rather than buying things “just cause.” I was planning to buy that skort anyway, I just got lucky that I found a “damaged” one!

I have a gym membership that I don’t use nearly as often as I should 😦 I definitely use it more in the winter, and Drew uses it sometimes, but it’s not ideal. I have a hard time on mornings when Drew’s working from home and I have to still get up early, and I can only imagine what torture that would be for an entire summer!

• Rae says:

Well, judging by most of the responses, we can assume that gyms are just raking in the cash, because NO ONE is using their gym memberships… And yeah, Ben is usually up first, and usually makes the coffee, so I’m kind of lost without him.

4. irishrunnerchick says:

The last thing I want to do in the summer is hit the gym……..but I’m still paying my membership LOL! Oh well it’s only $20 a month. I don’t think I could cope with the jealousy of living with a teacher during the summer. Hope the tail bone feels better soon.

Gym memberships are supposed to be used? Nah. I basically keep mine for winter months when I refuse to run in the dark. Work gives us a gym subsidy and after taxes, it pays for about half of it. The annual fee came out in June though and I was saying colorful words to my bank account. πŸ™‚

That’s a cute skirt and $19 is a steal! I am so envious of all the teachers I see on vacation now- why didn’t I finish school for that?!

I hope you feel better soon!