This post is a sort of follow up to my mantra post from a couple of weeks ago. I didn’t want to just drop that post into the blogosphere and then never touch on it again, because the whole point is that there needs to be action. I need to constantly check in with my goals and create steps to get there, and then follow those steps. I’ve got a few things coming up over the next year or so that are really important to me, and I need to put some things into motion to make them happen.
Lyric Theatre Company is doing 9 to 5 the Musical in the spring, and there’s a lead role I really, really want. I’ve never had a lead role with Lyric before, and I know competition for this show is going to be fierce. This means I need to take preparing for auditions seriously, instead of half-assing it as I have so many times in the past. I’m already taking steps toward this goal:
- I have contacted a few new voice teachers in the area, and I am dedicated to a) finding a new, good voice teacher (or, if I can’t find someone better, getting back on the schedule with my old teacher), and b) going to lessons at least every other week.
- I’m planning to suck up the cost and take a dance class or two in the fall, because that’s my weak spot in the musical theatre world,so I need to work on this.
I’ve already had one intro voice lesson with a new teacher, who, while she was very nice and skilled, was not the right fit for me. I’ve started researching dance classes and crunching numbers to see what I can afford as well.
My fall half Marathon PR goal. I feel like I have been doing a pretty good job of prioritizing my running workouts these last few weeks, but I still need to make sure that I’m doing some cross-training as well. I don’t think a PR is out of reach for me, but I have a plan to help me get there.
- Complete 3-4 runs a week with a long run on the weekends, yoga once a week, and spin when I can afford it.
- Commit to a short, at-home strength training session once a week
- Re-join my running club, and maybe seek out others to help keep me motivated and accountable.
Running club is a challenge, because the Tuesday runs all happen at a local trail center that costs money to access (most of the club members are also members of the trail center so it doesn’t cost them anything), and Saturday runs now start at 7:30 am, which as I’ve stated, is way too early for me to get up on a weekend. But I do have my strength sessions planned (rotating, arms, legs, and core), and come hell or high water, I’m getting back to yoga next week.
Ben and I are planning to buy a house next year. We have a very concrete timeline we’re trying to hit because we’re tired of renting and we’re hoping to start a family soon. Unfortunately, we are pretty cash poor, and with what we’re currently able to save, there’s just no way we could achieve this goal without taking the following steps:
- For the last several years, I’ve been paying a LOT more on my student loans than I need to. The goal was always to get them gone as soon as possible, but now we’re realizing that the extra cash would be better used to build up a down payment. So, at least until we get a house, I will go back to paying the minimum on my loans, and socking the rest away into savings.
- We are moving back in with my in-laws at the end of the summer. Yup. You read that right. Ben and I have had many long conversations, and we are both completely on the same page. We are planning to put all of our current living expenses into our house fund while we live with his parents.
By taking these two steps, we should be able to save enough for a decent down payment, with some left over for any necessary renovations. It’s exciting and scary, and I am absolutely dreading moving all of our shit YET AGAIN (Ben and I have moved 7 times in the 8 years we’ve been together, so this will make number 8). But I know it will be worth it if by Christmas time next year, we can have our own house.
So there you have it. Just a few of the goals I’ll be working towards in the next year. Of course there will be lots of other things that come up along the way, but these are the three biggies that I need to DO THE WORK to achieve.