Hello? Anybody Still Here?

Hi friends! Long time no see!

It’s been almost exactly two months since I decided to take a break from blogging, and it’s gone by really fast! All of a sudden today, I started to feel really nostalgic about this here little blog, and miss checking in with you, so I decided to pop in to say hello. I’m still not quite sure what the future holds for the blog, but I’m not really ready to say goodbye forever. So for now, I’m just gonna take it one day at a time, post when I feel like it, and try to let go of all of the weird feelings of obligation that lead me to my break.

So, what have I been up to? A lot!

We moved back in with the in-laws.
We’re back out in the boonies, which has many pros and cons. But it’s definitely going about as well as it possibly could. We’re all getting along great, the cats (all five of them!) are getting along great, and we’re watching the pile of money in our house fund grow. We’re getting ready to actually start talking to a mortgage broker and maybe even look at some houses. It’s a very exciting time.

Dance Classes
I’m taking a Jazz Fusion class on Tuesdays, and Tap on Wednesdays. The jazz class is AWESOME. I mean, it’s also a little awkward, because I’m one of only a small handful of adults in with a bunch of middle and high school girls who dance circles around me, but it’s great exercise, and exercise that I enjoy doing the entire time. Tap has been more challenging. I actually started out in Tap 2 because I’d already taken Tap 1, but after a couple of weeks, it was clear that I needed to go back to the beginner class and get more comfortable before moving up. Still, though, it’s good exercise as well, and will help me in my future theatrical endeavors.

Not a whole lot of running.
I think taking a break from the blog gave me “permission,” if you will, to take a break from running as well. Marathon training took more of a toll on me than I first realized, and even though I took a short break post-marathon, I still had lots of races and stuff coming up so I didn’t really give myself the time I needed, and kept pushing myself to run. I haven’t run since September 26, so it’s been almost a month, and I’m in a pretty good place about it. I think backing off on running has allowed my metabolism to normalize a bit; I’m not nearly so hungry on a regular basis, meaning I’m not eating as much, and I’ve actually managed to lose a couple of pounds, hallelujah! I’m definitely not going to completely give up on running, but the wheels are turning, and I think I feel a larger post coming on.

Work has been BUSY.
I have one team mate out on maternity leave, and another who was out for two weeks of vacation in September, and is now out for another five days for minor surgery, so my workload is significantly higher than usual. This has been a somewhat difficult adjustment for me, but I’ll make it. I’m also still working one shift a week at Athleta, which is great, but starting to feel like a bit too much on my plate. I was only planning to work there through December, but I may need to step back sooner rather than later for my mental well-being.

Wine and Dine is coming!
I fly out in less than two weeks and I couldn’t be more excited. I desperately need a break from work, and I’m excited to spend some time with my team Can-Am ladies, including finally meeting Lisa in person!

Whew! There, you’re all caught up. As I said above, I’m not quite sure how often I’ll be popping back in, but I no longer consider myself to be “on a break.”

What’s the most exciting/positive thing that’s happened to you in the last couple of months?

15 thoughts on “Hello? Anybody Still Here?

Rae! 🙂 I fully support your take-it-a-day-at-a-time approach to blogging, and am glad it’s giving you a chance to deal with running pressure-free. I’ve been neglecting my blog, and keep meaning to write something, but then the motivation goes away. I’m taking a history class this semester which is taking up waaaay more of my time than expected, which I’m sure doesn’t help! 🙂 Glad to hear things are good, and hope the goodness continues!

• dgobs says:

Public history, which has been fascinating so far! I just think I’m done with the whole homework thing… ugh. History dorks FTW!

2. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

I too have been neglecting blogging the last few months. I’m only posting once, maybe twice a week. I want to but I’m just busy and sometimes just don’t want to blog. I tried a Barre class last week and loved it hoping to keep it up. House hunting is fun, good luck!

• Rae says:

Nice! I’ve always wanted to try a Barre class, but I’m always turned off by the price tag. Maybe now while I’m not running a lot is a good time to bite the bullet…

3. irishrunnerchick says:

Glad that things are going well! Blogging is intermittent for me too but I can’t/don’t want to give up completely. I have a race tomorrow and can kinda run again which is exciting. Good luck with the house hunt.

• Rae says:

Aw, I miss you too, Suz! Even though I’m not really commenting a lot on blogs, I’m still checking in and trying to read up on what everybody is up to. Congratulations on Miss Ridley! She’s a doll.

Nice to see a post from you! Glad to hear things are going well for you, sorry about the work stress though. That is never a fun thing. I’ve often wondered if running is contributing to my inability to lose weight, both because of the constant hunger and (i)rational belief that I can eat anything because I ran 3 miles. 🙂

Hey there 🙂 Tried to comment from my iPad while we were in NYC and for some reason it didn’t take! 😦 Oh well – definitely still here, glad you are making progress in spite of stress and general craziness!

Running, well – that is just how things go … when I talk about my running I say I’ve run for 28 years and had that ‘lost mojo’ patch after my thyroid died when we first moved here, but there were other ups and downs and dry spells as well. And none of it matters, really. Life is a journey, and really for most people there should be more than just running – I definitely agree that the way the marathon stuff happened was too much and think it is smart to really step back and try to figure out what you want to do. You’ll find that we’ll be here no matter what you want to do and/or write about 🙂

• Rae says:

Thanks, Mike! I’m hoping that my fun Halloween 5k this weekend, in addition to Wine and Dine, will help rekindle some mojo, but if not, oh well! We got 4 inches of snow on October 22, so it’s not like outdoor running will be on the menu for much longer anyway!