Weekend Update: Holiday Parties, Disappointment, and Caroling!

Happy snowy Monday, all. My commute took thirty minutes longer than usual thanks to snowy conditions, so needless to say, I’m riding the struggle bus a bit this morning. Here’s hoping that a few extra doses of caffeine jump start the system. In the meantime, let’s take a look at what I got up to this weekend.

Friday

Our holiday party was a blast, as always. Our partners take turns hosting at their homes, but hire a caterer so that no one has to cook. There were alcoholic libations aplenty, and lots of delicious noms. Ben had broomball playoffs, which meant I had to be my own DD, so I didn’t stay too long. I headed home around 8:30 to have a couple more beers at home, and play some video games in the hopes of distracting myself from the “Will I/won’t I get cast” thoughts whirling in my head. It didn’t work.

Saturday

I slept fitfully all night, and woke up with my stomach a churning mass of nerves. Unfortunately, I didn’t get either of the lead roles I got called back for in 9 to 5, but I still get a small featured role. Obviously, I’m very disappointed, but sometimes things just work out this way. I’m doing my best to focus on how much fun I’m going to have rather than on my disappointment, but Saturday was a rough day.

Ben’s uncle Bill was visiting from New York, and his Grammy came over for dinner, so I was required to pull myself together and be social, which was actually a good thing, because otherwise I probably would have spent all day in my PJs snuggling my cats and having a pity party. A judicious application of beer and video games helped ease my troubles, and I went to bed relatively early.

Sunday

I slept in a bit Sunday morning, then had a delightful breakfast of omelet and grits prepared by my father in law. I put on a bit of makeup and my favorite dress and steeled myselfΒ to face the crowds for some Christmas shopping in downtown Burlington. I crossed a few things off my list, so I’m now about 90-95% done with shopping, which is GREAT!

After that I met up with Lyric Theatre folks for the annual caroling extravaganza on Church Street. It was FREEZING, but oh so fun. I had never made it out for caroling before, and I’m glad I did. Afterwards, there was a gathering at someone’s house, and it was lovely to see all my people and be reminded that even though casting didn’t work out the way I had hoped, I love these people and I love doing theatre, and it’s going to be an awesome show.

After a drink and some party food (OMG buffalo chicken dip for the WIN!), I headed back home to Underhill for shepherd’s pie, a beer, and some Fallout 3. All in all, the weekend was an emotional roller coaster, and I’m feeling pretty wiped today, especially with my longer-than-usual commute. I’m basically living for the holidays at this point. I have a three day weekend for Christmas, then I work three days, then I have a four day weekend for New Year’s, so I’m looking forward to fun times and relaxation with friends and family.

What was the high point of your weekend?

13 thoughts on “Weekend Update: Holiday Parties, Disappointment, and Caroling!

1. Jenn @ Fairest Run of All says:

It always sucks when you don’t get something you desperately wanted, but featured role is still damned impressive! I don’t even like it when people look at me, let alone sit and listen to me sing, so you’re some kinda superhero in my book. πŸ™‚

I was so excited to just see your name on the list … I hadn’t really known which parts you’d actually wanted. I did fear that it was an ‘above the line’ role, so I get that disappointment 😦 It might sound silly – but as I have said before, allow yourself the space and permission to be unhappy about this – as it seems you have.

Although the requirement of getting going can help clear up the pity party, the notion of sitting in pajamas snuggled with the furballs, snacking and playing video games sounds good to me … I restarted Skyrim last week and had hoped for an hour to play yesterday but ran out of time! Oh well – got more shopping/cleaning/decorating/cooking done πŸ™‚

• Rae says:

Thanks, Mike. I’m in the difficult position of knowing a lot of people who didn’t get cast at all, so it’s hard to feel disappointed for myself knowing that they don’t get to be part of it all. It’s a balancing act of feeling my feelings, while also recognizing that I got something that other people wanted. Glad to hear you’re restarting Skyrim, it’s one of my favorites. We just started Fallout 3, which is made by Bethesda also, but I’m finding it a lot harder.

• txa1265 says:

Because I am old…er, I find it hard to accept a Fallout game as something made by Bethesda :). Haha – I did have fun with Fallout 3, but I also spent a lot of years playing shooters and have a decent knack for them πŸ™‚

And yeah, knowledge is a double-edged sword in many areas …

3. Kimberley@Black Dog Runs Disney says:

Oh my goodness, I didn’t think you were blogging anymore, so yayyyy!!!!! I’m so sorry about the casting, but everything happens for a reason, you just need to keep crap in perspective. And there’s never anything wrong with curling up in pj’s with all manner of furry critters! πŸ™‚

4. sarahdudek80 says:

So sorry to hear that you didn’t get the part you wanted. I think you are pretty amazing. And buffalo chicken anything can always make things better! I hope the rest of this week treats you better!

Sorry that you didn’t get the parts that you were hoping for. It sounds like the rest of the weekend went well though and that’s good. I’ve barely even started my Christmas shopping and it’s beginning to freak me out.

• Rae says:

I’m usually not this on top of the whole Christmas shopping thing, so I’m feeling pretty good about it. Just a few more small things and I’m DONE!

6. hellyontherun says:

Bummer about the part 😦 I’m a big sulker when I don’t get things I want and it takes me a while to snap out of it. I’m glad you had a good weekend despite the casting news, xoxo