Why I’ve Decided to Try CrossFit

I used to swear up and down that I was never going to try CrossFit. I was simply not interested. I think the Paleo diet is a bunch of BS, and I generally avoid hanging out with “meatheads” or participating in anything that might be described as cult-like. We’ve all heard the CrossFit horror stories of being pressured into fad diets, or doing too much too fast and winding up grievously injured. I turned my nose up at the possibility that so-called normal people could get anything out of CrossFit.

Lately, though, my mindset has shifted somewhat. Some of the reasons are pretty personal so I’m not gonna get into that, but suffice to say, I’m ready to commit to putting my health first.  I have a HORRIBLE family health history, including but not limited to: Type 2 diabetes, high blood pressure, high cholesterol, congestive heart failure, and a selection of cancers on both sides. I need to really take care of myself or I’ll end up on the same path as my aunts, uncles, and grandparents.

Also, I have made no secret over the course of my time writing this blog about the fact that I’m not super happy with where I’m at physically. Since moving to Vermont in 2013, I’ve slowly but surely gained about 20 pounds. I thought that by really committing to running, training for my first half, and then another few halves, and then my first marathon, I might finally drop the weight and get back to a better place mentally, but that hasn’t been the case. In fact, it’s gone the opposite way and I’ve GAINED weight since I started running more. I’m hopeful that really mixing things up and adding serious weight training into my routine will help me achieve the results that have been eluding me for some time now, not to mention helping to prevent the aforementioned health issues.

I definitely still have some anxiety and fear regarding CF, but I’ve been doing a lot of research. What I’ve read has led me to believe that a good box and a good trainer really have your best interests at heart, and care about keeping you healthy and helping you achieve your goals. There’s a box less than a mile from my office that offers a free intro class every Saturday morning, so I’m gonna go check it out this weekend. I know CF is pretty expensive, but I’ve decided that if I like it and feel like it will help me get where I want to be, I’m willing to pony up the cash. It’s time to stop whining about how unhappy I am and actually do something about it. Who knows, I may totally hate it and feel uncomfortable and whatever, but I’ll never know unless I try, right?

Have you ever tried CrossFit? Thoughts?

34 thoughts on “Why I’ve Decided to Try CrossFit

I’ve heard the same horror stories, and have been skeptical for the same reasons. But, one of my friends found a CF box she loves and has only good things to say about it… and hasn’t gotten injured once since she joined! I think it depends on the one you go to. Hopefully the one you’re looking at is one of the good ones! 🙂 Good luck!

2. hellyontherun says:

I’ve heard similar stories and for those reasons and others, I’ve just never had the desire to want to try it. But, I also know quite a few people who do it and have done well for themselves so there you go (or I go, lol).

Hope you blog about it so we can see how/if you like it!!! 🙂

• Rae says:

I think I just need a really hard kick in the butt to get where I want to be, and I’m hoping this is it! I will DEFINITELY blog about it afterwards.

• Rae says:

Thanks, Anna. My ultimate feeling is that you just never know until you try for yourself. Love it or hate it, at least either way I’ll know it if works for me or not.

I’ve considered it but am fearful for the same reasons. Then just when I think I may try it I read an injury on a blog. The biggest things holding me back are the cost and the times though. Classes in my area are at stupid times. Most are not designed for people who work 8-5 let alone those who commute. Good luck!

• Rae says:

The cost is definitely a prohibitive factor, but like I said, I’ve spent hundreds of dollars over the last few years on running stuff and only gotten further away from my fitness goals, so maybe re-allocating those dollars will help. And the box I’m looking at is both close and has reasonable class times, so it could be really good.

4. rachelrunsfar says:

I did it a few times in college and really liked it, even though it was way outside my comfort zone. I loved how short the workouts were and how you got a really intense, full body burn. I think if you’re realistic about your abilities and don’t try to use weights that are too heavy for you, etc the risk of getting injured is small. Good luck!

• Rae says:

Thank you! That’s how I feel too. I need someone to push me, and I need to make the most of my time, so this seems like it will fit the bill!

Since I am horrifically addicted to running I don’t look elsewhere, which is OK because I really don’t even want to spend the money for the Corning-subsidized YMCA membership 🙂

But while all of us have ‘read the stories’ – there are also people I know, including running coaches who I would trust my health to, who are advocates of doing cross-fit – along the ‘right box, right coach’ mantra you mention.

So I definitely say go for it, be careful and listen to your body!

As for everything else … I am the only one in my immediate family who didn’t have a heart attack prior to leaving my 40s, so I fully appreciate the concerns around proper health and diet.

• Rae says:

Yeah, the older I get the more I feel like I really need to get a handle on nutrition and fitness. My parents are both barely 60 and already kind of falling apart, so it’s more on my mind than ever lately.

6. Odysseus300 says:

When you look online about people’s experiences of CrossFit you always hear about the threat of injury from progression without proper form. Or a focus on time over correctly executing the lifts. But these concerns always seem to come from people who haven’t directly experienced CrossFit themselves, and in my experience (and the experience of others who ACTUALLY CrossFit) this isn’t true. There are intro programmes, and loads of one-to-one coaching from trained coaches to help you to get your form right first – before anything else, and then think about adding weight in later. Go for it, it’s wonderful!

• Rae says:

Thanks, it’s been great so far! I’ve only been to a couple of classes, but I’m still getting a LOT of one-on-one coaching and attention.

7. iifymwithal says:

Hi! I just came across this post and it really spoke to me – mainly because I was EXACTLY like you. I just listened to everyone else’s opinions on CF and formed my own based on what I heard. However – I decided to give it a try and have fallen completely in love with it! Exactly like you said, it’s important to find a great box and not settle for the first one you find, closest, most convenient, etc.

I would LOVE to hear how your experience is going!! 🙂

• Rae says:

Aw, thank you! So far, I’m totally loving it. The trainers at my box are awesome, and the people are really, really nice. I’m about a month deep now and planning to keep going as long as I can afford it, haha!

8. momnomsweb says:

Hey congrats on your new journey, don’t forget to fuel like the beautiful beast you are! Check out my blog for some tasty quick options. I love Paleo because I lost all my baby weight from both pregnancies fast and am still losing without counting macronutrients.

• Rae says:

Thank you! I definitely have some improvements to make on the fueling front, but paleo is definitely not for me. Glad it’s working for you, though. To each, her own!

9. sheswHolyfit says:

I have been doing Crossfit for alost 3 years now. I absolutely love it. I recommend it to everyone I meet.
    Please, just make sure you find a Crossfit gym that will have good coaching, so they can watch your form. Be mindful of what your body is also telling you. Don’t go into competing mode with people who have been doing it for a long time. Pace yourself.
    I absolutely love it. I love how my body has changed and how I NEVER got hurt doing crossfit because of the reasons I listed above.

*** Wish you so much luck and I’m glad to hear you are enjoying it!
    ps. After your first days doing it, it will be extremely sore and it may feel like you just got ran over by a train, but the key to not being to sore is stretching and going back for more, I promise.

10. collegefitnessgirlie says:

I have been doing crossfit about a year now and it is probably one of the best things for you not only physically, but mentally as well! It makes you feel strong as a woman since you lift and of course it makes you feel fit since you complete these tough workouts. I’m a crossfitter for life and I hope you’re enjoying it!!

• Rae says:

I’m now about 5 months in and absolutely loving it! I don’t get to go as often as I’d like, but I’m hooked for sure 🙂

11. y9en says:

Great post!! I used to be in that same mindset in terms of lifting and weights and crossfit. I would never have imagined saying this but after I tried it, I LOVED it. It had dramatically improved my health and mood. Now I can’t live without it. The feeling of accomplishment after a tough wod is just incredible. I’m so glad you gave it a try because it will definitely change your life! Keep us updated!

• Rae says:

Thanks! I’m about 6 months in now and absolutely loving it. I don’t get to class as often as I’d like, but I ALWAYS feel better after a hard WOD 🙂