Friday Free-For-All – 01/06/17

Photo Jul 14, 10 05 37 AM

This week has kicked my butt. First week back at work after the holidays. First week of the new quarter and the new year. First week of rehearsals for 9 to 5 the Musical. I’m POOPED. I’m just trying to wait for things to equalize and not freak out. This weekend will be mostly about catching up on sleep and getting serious about meal planning and prep so I can eat like a normal, healthy human being instead of a garbage disposal. And also not spend all my money on eating out.

I know I’m late to the party, but I’m officially obsessed with Hamilton. For over a year, all my musical theatre friends have been all “Hamilton is so great, Hamilton is so amazing, blah blah.” I tried to listen to the soundtrack a few times in the past and just didn’t get it. I just didn’t understand why people were so crazy over it. It was interesting, but I didn’t feel anything emotionally. Then I got the soundtrack for Christmas and listened to it on my terrible, horrible, no good, very long car ride to New Jersey last weekend, and something about being in the car and surrounded by the music finally helped me feel it. I’ve been listening to exclusively the Hamilton soundtrack ever since.

I didn’t make any new year’s resolutions or goals for 2017. I didn’t for 2016 either, and I feel pretty good about it. Goals stress me out rather than motivating me, and I never follow through on resolutions anyway. I do, however, have an extensive list of shit I need to get done this year. Exciting, adult things like an eye exam, gum surgery, wisdom teeth extractions, and rolling over 401(k)’s, whee! I’m hoping to chip away at things bit by bit and get most of the scary, expensive stuff like gum surgery out of the way before I (hopefully) get knocked up later this year.

What’s the most pressing thing on your 2017 to-do list?

12 thoughts on “Friday Free-For-All – 01/06/17

1. Jenn @ Fairest Run of All says:

I was late to the Hamilton party, too. To be honest I’m still not 100% on board with the hype – I mean, people are ready to sell their firstborn for tickets and I’m like jeez, guys, calm down, it’s not the only good musical ever – but it’s really fun to run to! My favorites are “Right Hand Man,” “Yorktown,” “The Room Where It Happens,” and “Washington on Your Side.” The guy who plays Burr is AMAZING.

Definitely a crazy-ass week! I felt like I was in a good place coming back this week – but the number of people who were on brain-vacation since mid-December suddenly freaking out about everything has been a pain to deal with! 🙂

Goals, resolutions, mantras, power words … they are all out there and honestly no one thing works for everyone, and if it stresses you out? Why bother?!?!

But even looking at your paragraph – your list, along with being mindful of other things as shown in the first paragraph … that is essentially a set of goals! Just not laid out as such.

For some reason I cracked up reading ‘get knocked up’ in reference to intentional family planning … must be a side-effect of having two college age boys home … or not. 🙂

Pressing for me? Make sure the boys have gainful summer internships / jobs … and make progress on getting those lines up before heading back to school. Aside from that … it is our 25th anniversary, so we’re trying to be able to do something special for that!

I haven’t joined the Hamilton party yet… I’m intrigued by it, and even wrote a little about it in my final paper for the class I took this semester, but I haven’t listened to any of the songs. One of these days, maybe 🙂

I hope you have a chill, relaxing, sleep-filled weekend!

4. veryrach says:

there are already so many pressing things on my 2017 list! But I am trying not to stress about it lol. most of them are fun… 1 is getting a new blog up and running for me and my sister! woo hoo!

That’s a lot of dental work. My advice? GET IT DONE BEFORE IT DOES YOU IN. Alex and I were in Mexico when one of his wisdom teeth got infected and he FINALLY got them removed when we got home. But he almost had to come home early. don’t be that person.

• Rae says:

My wisdom teeth are in decent shape, it’s the gum thing that’s an issue. Receding gumline in one area due to previous oral surgery. Ugh. Not looking forward to that AT ALL.