The Return to Running

Five months is kind of a long time to take off of running. I didn’t plan to take a specific amount of time off, I just didn’t want to push myself back into something that had become a bit of a chore. Marathon training WHILE rehearsing for a show and then having a DNF, and having another weather-related race disaster with the 100 on 100 relay, I just WAS NOT FEELING IT.

Recently, I’ve been easing back into running with a couple of short runs a week. It’s been nice, and dare I say, not as challenging or awful as I thought it would be (thank you, CrossFit!). Of course, now that I’m back at it, it’s hard not to want to be exactly back where I was, running PR 5k races and putting in all the miles. It’s hard to look back at where I was this time last year and not be disappointed in my mileage and paces. I’m just trying to remind myself that I did, in fact, take five whole months off. And that this time last year I was nearing the end of marathon training, so it’s not fair at all to compare now to then. Running again feels good, for the most part, so there’s no need to let it make me upset when I’m just getting back to it.

But the shoes. DEAR GOD THE SHOES. Will my shoe saga never end? I’ve been hunting for my perfect running shoe for over a year now, and it’s hard not to feel like there may never be an answer for me. I’ve put in so much time and effort, not to mention MONEY, with zero success.

The Hoka Claytons are officially dead to me. I’ve put in about 40 miles in them over the last 9 months and still can’t go more than one mile without horrific blisters on my insteps, no matter how much anti-chafe product I slather on. I’d post pictures, but I don’t want to make anyone puke. I had to throw my blue Mirage 4s away this week because the heels were ripped out so badly that it was causing blisters on my heels. And my orange Mirage 4s (my original pair), are over 3 years old and completely shot. Which means, I’m effectively running shoe-less.

I am biting the bullet today and ordering the Altra One 2.5s in two different sizes, so I can try them on and see if they even remotely might work. I’ll keep the ones that fit the best and try them out for 30 days. Altra has an AMAZING 30 day guarantee, so I’m hoping that these might finally bring an end to my shoe woes and get me back out and running comfortably.

I really hope I can get my shoe situation together before the racetastic month of May. I’ve got FOUR races, and if I don’t have good shoes, I’m going to be a very sad panda. If I have to put in any more miles with those damn Hokas, I may quit running altogether.

Anyone in the market for a lightly used pair of Hoka Claytons?

11 thoughts on “The Return to Running

Between the shoe drama, the stage drama, and the race drama, you 100% were due a break. I hope that the Altras work for you so that you can get back to loving the run!

2. Darlene says:

I hope your new shoes put a spring in your step. I hated the Hokas too. Now I love my NIke Zoom Vomeros 10 and now they’re up to 12. I wish they would stop changing their shoes.

Remember to avoid the ‘terrible toos’ – too much, too soon, too fast! It is easy to get swept back up into things, especially at this time of year when it is just wonderful being outside!

Ugh on the continuing shoe saga! I really hope these work – but also agree with Darlene, it is crappy how shoe companies tweak their shoes enough that it is easy to have one generation work well and the next one really NOT work. I am lucky that the Saucony Kinvara has worked for me from v4 all the way through v7 for me.

Oh … and don’t think the Hoka’s will fit me 🙂

• Rae says:

Definitely trying not to get the “toos.” Right now I’m running twice a week, 3ish miles at a time, and hopefully adding in a “long” run this coming week of about 4-5 miles. No injuries here, please!

Ugh, I returned my Hoka’s, between the toe pain and the arch pain, yuck. I’m still not happy in a shoe. I like most of the new PureFlow design but they took away the arch support that I liked on the 4’s and now I feel super sore on long runs. Grrr. Maybe we should just run barefoot?😛

• Rae says:

Honestly, I have a pair of NB Minimus shoes that I wear for CrossFit, and we had to do a half mile run the other day and I was like, “Hmm, can I maybe run in these?” I’m getting desperate!

Sorry you’re still suffering shoe drama! Awesome that Altra has that 30-day guarantee. I hope you can find something for your racetastic month ahead! 🙂

• Rae says:

Me too! I’m definitely grateful for the chance to try them out without worrying about being able to return them if they don’t work.