A Change of Plans

The problem with planning your race schedule too far in advance is that life often gets in the way. When I originally signed up to be on my company’s Vermont City Marathon Relay team back in January, I didn’t know that my friends who were planning to get married Memorial Day weekend would have a lunch wedding rather than an evening wedding.

After finding out that the service was going to be at 11 am rather than, say, 4pm, I arranged with my team to run the second leg. This would have allowed ample time to run a fast-for-me 6 miles, grab a quick shower, and drive to Randolph (about 1.5 hours away) by 11 am.

Fast forward to last week, when my friend very sweetly and graciously asked for my help getting dressed the morning of. We’ve been friends since my freshman year of high school, and she is one of the best people I know, so I consider it an honor and a privilege to help out. But this means I need to be in Randolph by 10 am rather than 11 am, which means there’s no possible way to run my relay leg and still make it there on time.

Obviously, this is a disappointment. I was really looking forward to conquering the marathon course after last year’s DNF suckfest. And I’m leaving my team hanging, which is not a nice feeling. But my friends are getting married. The marathon relay will always be there, but my friends getting married is a once in a lifetime kind of thing that I wouldn’t miss for the world.

Have you ever had to bail on a race due to a life event?

11 thoughts on “A Change of Plans

1. Heather [is probably running] says:

I have three weddings to attend this summer (plus bridal showers and bachelorette weekends). I have been so close to signing up for races and then realizing that it is the same weekend as another event. Sorry to hear that you will be missing your relay, but I think it is wonderful that you are willing to rearrange your plans to be there for a friend.

2. Darlene says:

I agree. You can run next year. Friends and family are more important. I’ve run both legs. Do the 2nd!! You run through the finish line and end on the lake.

Been there! I remember being so excited to run my first race with my running club and then my best friend’s baby shower being the same day and time. I was bummed, but a friend’s first baby is something to celebrate and I’m so glad I DNSed that race! Hopefully you’ll feel the same way, but I totally hear your disappointment!

• Rae says:

The excitement and happiness of their wedding DEFINITELY outweighs the disappointment. Like I said, the marathon happens every year, so it’s not like I’ll never have another chance.

Man, this race! We need to get you to have a great VCM! Still, such an honor to help out your friend. I didn’t sign up for the Chicago Marathon the year after my back because of my best friend’s wedding (I ended up being MOH but didn’t know it at the time). Also, the back, but whatever.

Totally understandable – races are fun and all, but I have memories from all sorts of weddings from decades ago! And those are ones I wasn’t even a formal part of! 🙂

I have basically been ‘do not even bother planning’ for races for a couple of years since it seems that all the races line up with events for the kids/family so … why worry/bother. I would never want the stress of a race and event on the same day. Whew – too much! 🙂

• Rae says:

Seriously. I keep looking at races for later in the year, but I just can’t bring myself to sign up because we have so many balls in the air at the moment.