I had sort of a weird crisis over CrossFit this month. I got suddenly very uncomfortable with how much it cost, and was frustrated with changes in my schedule that made it more difficult to get to class. I actually debated giving it up completely because I was just feeling so weird about it. I even started writing a post all about how I was feeling, but never hit “publish.”
Thankfully, I snapped out of it toward the end of the month. After a week and a half of no classes, I went to one that was just SO MUCH FUN, even though it was hard. It washed away any doubts I had that CF was something I wanted to stick with and I’ve been full bore ever since. Yes, it’s expensive, and yes, sometimes I don’t go as much as I “should,” but I love it, it’s a great compliment to running, and I’m so effing strong these days I hardly recognize myself. I love it.
I was supposed to run four races this month, but only ended up with two, which is totally ok with me. The VT Respite House was my first race this year, and was pretty dang speedy. Then the Craft Brew Race was just a good time with my friend Megan.
I ran 8 times for a total of about 27 miles. I’m still trying to fit in two or three runs a week, but it’s hit or miss right now. CrossFit is my priority because I’m paying for my membership, but I love to squeeze in lunch runs when the weather is nice. I’m less dedicated when it comes to running in rain, cold, or on the treadmill.
Sadly, I didn’t get to yoga even once. This month was surprisingly busy with social activities, and with Dogfight rehearsals starting up mid-month, my entire schedule shifted quite a lot and yoga was a lot less convenient. I hope to get back to it, but with summer temps on the horizon, hot yoga may not be quite as soothing as during the winter.
We started Dogfight rehearsals, and so far, so good. Stowe Theatre Guild is a much smaller, less well-funded organization than Lyric Theatre, so things aren’t quite as well organized as I’d like, but I love the show so much that I’m just trying not to worry too much about anything and roll with it.
We also had a season kick-off cabaret on the 20th, which was a lot of fun. I got to sing a song from the show, and meet a bunch of the actors in the season’s other shows that I wouldn’t normally get to interact with. We had a decently-sized audience and I was pretty proud of the performance I gave in spite of never actually having rehearsed the song.
I’m feeling a bit anxious about the whole “I have to play guitar and sing onstage” thing, because the guitar that the director loaned me to learn/practice on has a broken string, so that hasn’t actually been happening yet. I’m ready to buckle down and work on it a lot this month, I just need to get a fully functional instrument.
I also scheduled my first professional theatre audition, and I’m feeling excited AND scared, to quote Little Red from Into the Woods. It’s a great opportunity, so I just need to relax, prepare, and do the best I can.
Ben’s job situation has finally settled! For the last two years, he’s been on a temporary contract covering a leave of absence for someone, and after lots of delays, ups, and downs, he finally has a permanent part time position, and the district is allowing him to fill in some Instructional Aide blocks to pad him to full time so we can keep his benefits. This means buying a house and starting a family are ON LIKE DONKEY KONG.
Work has sort of slowly been draining my will to live. I am lucky in that I have excellent co-workers and really competitive pay, but the job I do is SO. BORING. 80% of the time I don’t have enough to do, and the other 20% of the time it’s batshit crazy. There is no in between. It’s been getting me really down lately, and I’ve started getting stress headaches at work, which is no fun.
I’m just trying to remind myself that the end (getting knocked up and not coming back to work after maternity leave) is squarely in sight now, so I just need to suck it up for another year or so. It could always be worse.
As a refresher, my goals for May were:
- Go to CF at least 10 times (my membership allows for 12 classes per month)–nope
- Go to yoga at least twice–nope
- Do at least one “long” run (4+ miles)–check!
- Take the Honda to the dealership to deal with the airbag recall notice–nope
Boo. Not so great on the goals from this month. Hopefully I can do better for June.
- Run at least once a week (5 times total)
- Go to CF at least twice a week (8 times total)
- Take the Honda to the dealership to deal with the airbag recall
Do you like to set monthly goals? Do you find that they help you get stuff done?