Problem Solved; For Now

I can’t believe I’m finally able to type this: I HAVE FOUND RUNNING SHOES THAT WORK FOR ME! Hallelujah, strike up the band, people! It’s been over a YEAR since I started looking for replacement running shoes, and I have finally, finally found ones that work.

The Altra One 2.5’s are my new go-to’s. I have now put about 45 miles on them, including several “long runs” and two 5k races, and things feel great. My toes aren’t rubbing and I’m not feeling any weird pain or anything. Obviously, I’m delighted.

The bad news, however, is it looks like the One 2.5’s I’m currently loving have literally just been replaced by One V3. We all know that new versions of our favorite shoes aren’t necessarily the same, and can even be different enough to make them unwearable, so obviously I am annoyed.

It seems like I just can’t catch a break. I’m planning to buy at least one pair of the limited One 2.5’s available as a backup, and I’m willing to try the V3 because of Altra’s generous 30 day return policy, but COME ON, man! Can’t I just have a shoe that’s available for longer than a year?

When you find a good running shoe, do you hoard them like I’m about to?

18 thoughts on “Problem Solved; For Now

1. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

That’s great you finally found a pair that work, let’s hope they don’t change too much in the V3. I’ve bought the same pair of sneaker 5 times now – they haven’t changed too much on me!

• Rae says:

That’s awesome! I was lucky for my first couple of years of serious running, but then they stopped making my shoe altogether 😦

2. Charissa says:

Don’t lose hope! You can still keep shopping for the old ones by any means necessary. I’ve been using the Kinvara 5’s for 3 years now!!! Amazon runs out every so often but then it gets re-stocked again – I’ve also found them shopping on other online stores as well (Google search for the win!). I think I’ve been through 10-12 pairs or something crazy like that. I’ve recently tried the 7’s and they’re OK but def not the same…and I’ve also tried a New Balance shoe that has some limitations (no long runs), but there’s nothing quite like my 5’s so I keep searching and going back for them! Maybe you’ll get lucky and be able to keep finding them 🙂

But really, why do they have to update a shoe model every single year?!?! If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it! haha

• Rae says:

SERIOUSLY. It’s so frustrating. I’m glad you’ve been able to keep finding your shoes for so long, that gives me hope!

3. Darlene says:

Hooray! Glad to hear that you found your shoes! I did too – Nike Vomero 10s and then I hated the 11s. I just bought a pair of 12s and thank God, they went back to the wider toe box like the 10s.

• Rae says:

That’s great to hear! I hate when they change a shoe just enough that it no longer works. I get that they “need” to make new versions to push new shoes, but like Charissa said, “If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it!”

Yay! So great you found something that works!

I like to have a couple of pairs but have become somewhat complacent since the Saucony Kinvaras have worked for me for the last FOUR iterations, with the v6 and v7 (most recent) feeling nearly identical on my feet. I might jump on a sale when there is another good one and hoard a couple … or just be lazy until the fall and realize ‘oh no’ and hope I can get them 🙂

• Rae says:

With the luck I’ve had, I can’t afford to be complacent. Now I just need to come up with a couple of extra hundred dollars to buy some extra shoes…