Weekend Update – Happy New Year!

Dang, I love long weekends! Three days off in a row is wonderful, but only having a four day work week after is the icing on the cake 🙂 I had a low-key but still super fun holiday weekend. Let’s look back at it, shall we?

After work, I headed to the gym for a little treadmill action, then went to my friends Nick and Nikki’s new house to check it out. They just closed today and were in the middle of a painting spree, so it was a bit chaotic, but I’m so excited for them! These are the friends who lost everything in St. John after Hurricane Maria, so I’m ecstatic that they get to put down some roots and have stability again. The best part is, their new house is in the same town as the house we’re (hopefully) buying, so we’ll still be super close. Yay!

After that, I headed back home for some family time. Emily and Jirka were scheduled to leave on Saturday, so we wanted to cram in more Catan and hanging out.

Emily and Jirka left for the airport around 9:30, which was a huge downer, but I’m very glad they got to be here for almost a month. After saying our goodbyes, we headed to our vet’s office to pick up Rocket’s prescription food, and then helped Nick and Nikki move for a few hours. It was a pretty streamlined process, and when we were done, they fed us pizza, which was awesome.

We got home around 2:30 and spent the afternoon napping, reading, and otherwise relaxing. After supper, an intense game of Catan took place, and then everyone was up late drinking and hanging out. It was a late night, and Ben fell asleep on the couch and didn’t get into bed until almost 5 am!

We all slept in late and had a leisurely breakfast. Around 11, mom, dad, and Leah headed into town to visit Grammie, who’s in the hospital with pneumonia, while Ben and I hung out for a bit longer before heading into town to do some errands before visiting Grammie.

Our visit at the hospital was short, but Grammie seems to be on the mend and eager to get back to her room at Sterling House, which is a good sign. At home, we had a simple supper of sandwiches and chips, then had a super low-key NYE. There was some Catan, but mostly lots of relaxing, and nobody made it to midnight. Leah had a 6 am flight back to DC, so we all went to bed relatively early. NYE in my 30’s is very, very different from NYE in my 20’s, haha!


Leah was already long gone by the time we rolled out of bed. I ate a quick breakfast and got right down to business. I put all my laundry away, made our bed, cleaned up our room, and vacuumed the whole downstairs. It always feels good to start the week off with things all put away and tidy.

Ben’s truck hadn’t been starting due to the cold lately (the highest temp we’ve seen in a week is 13!) so when we were able to start it today, we decided a little scenic drive would be a good idea to get the engine all warmed up. We drove by our house and saw that there’s a big dumpster outside, so it looks like cleaning and moving is going ahead there. Yay!

On the way home we stopped at our friends Norm and Jennifer’s house for a cup of tea and a cozy chat by the fire before heading home to lunch. I spent the rest of the afternoon continuing to get caught up on life stuff, mostly reading blogs and typing this post up, as well as giving myself a manicure.


Ben made a nice roasted chicken supper, and we were in bed pretty early, both of us dreading heading back to work today. At least it’s a short week!

This will be a busy week for me as I have at least one commitment every single evening after work, and today will be one of my busiest days of the quarter at work. But hey, at least it makes the days go by!

How did you ring in the new year?

2 thoughts on “Weekend Update – Happy New Year!

  1. txa1265 says:

    Sounds like a great long weekend 🙂

    We did actually ‘go out’ for New Years Eve for the first time in quite a while. And it is funny, because we had an AWESOME time, even though:
    – The food was mediocre
    – The band was pretty terrible
    – Lisa was still dragging with her cold and we headed to our room at ~10:45
    – I made it to midnight but Lisa was long gone
    – Our room was directly above the dining/ballroom … so we could hear the band
    – Despite being an historic hotel, the walls were decidedly ‘noise transmitting’ … so, um, yeah …

    Our favorite thing was sitting in the lounge by the roaring fire for a few hours just relaxing and talking … it was pretty great. For next year I suggested a different place, Lisa suggested being at home in our PJ’s by 8PM! 😀

    Happy New Year!

    • Rae says:

      Well, I’m all for being home and in PJ’s by 8! And honestly, what you do doesn’t matter so much as who you do it with 🙂 Glad you and Lisa managed to have a great time in spite of not so great circumstances.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s