23 Week Pregnancy Update

According to my Ovia Pregnancy app, Baby Girl is the size of a bunch of grapes.

The biggest and most exciting change/development this week is that Baby Girl is DEFINITELY moving around in there. I didn’t feel the first few movements until week 21, and even then they were very small and sporadic. Seemingly overnight, at 23 weeks to the day, she started having a dance party in my belly. Feeling her wiggle and kick in there so much is immensely reassuring, not to mention amazing and cool. Ben also got to feel her for the first time this week, which was a lovely moment.

As far as workouts go, prenatal yoga is still my jam. I’ve tried a few more walks, but the motion really seems to irritate my round ligament. I’m planning to pick up a belly support band to see if that helps, but I’m not holding my breath. I need to get back to the gym and see if I can ride a stationary bike without pain. However, I’m also concerned about the post-exercise lightheadedness, so I’m being pretty cautious with workouts right now.

Symptom-wise, there’s not much new happening. The morning sickness that came back during week 20 has thankfully passed. My belly button is still an innie, but it’s definitely starting to push out. I haven’t gotten any stretch marks yet (knock on wood!). And I’m still not having any true food cravings or aversions, I’m just a bit pickier than normal. Oh, and I had my first ocular migraine since the first trimester. Thankfully I was just home watching TV so it wasn’t hugely inconvenient, just annoying.

The toughest thing for me right now is sleep. I’m simply not sleeping well at all. Pregnant women are encouraged to sleep on their sides, as sleeping on your belly is out for obvious reasons, and the weight of your baby/uterus can pinch blood vessels if you sleep flat on your back. I sleep on my side 75% of the time anyway, but CONSTANTLY sleeping on my sides is causing me a significant amount of hip discomfort. Even with a fancy body-hugging pregnancy pillow, I spend a significant amount of time every night tossing and turning. Every time someone says “Oh, you’d better get lots of sleep now, because once the baby comes, forget it!” I want to stab them in the eye.

As far as preparations go, I have mostly completed our Amazon Baby Registry. We’re trying to keep it fairly simple and not go crazy putting a ton of clothes and toys on there, because we know we’re going to get them anyway (I pointed my family toward the Zutano warehouse sale link this week and I think they bought one of everything). We’re mostly focused on the essentials like car seats and strollers. We still haven’t bought anything of note, but with a crib secured from one of Ben’s colleagues, and the hand-me-downs continuing to roll in, we can start actually putting her room together, which will be really nice.

Have you ever had to make a baby registry? Did you find it easy or overwhelming?

13 thoughts on “23 Week Pregnancy Update

1. Mrs P says:

Ughhh I know exactly what you mean about sleeping on your side. I’m struggling and finding that I’m tossing and turning more now than I ever have in my life – I feel sorry for my hubby too as I know I’m making it hard for him to sleep through too.
    We haven’t done a baby registry, we still have quite a few of our core items from when we had our daughter which helps and we’ve found in the past that when we’ve requested certain things people just go and get whatever they think is best anyways lol.
    I look forward to following your journey. Take care 🙂

• Rae says:

Thank you so much! I hope you’re able to get your sleep situation figured out soon. I finally figured out just this week that sleeping propped up on an incline works really well for me.

2. Amy says:

Yes, by the time they tell you to “sleep while you can” it’s too late! That ship has sailed. For me, while having a newborn didn’t allow for a lot of sleep I found that the sleep I got felt much more restful than pregnancy sleep. I was still delusional with exhaustion, but I preferred that to how I felt while pregnant.

For me, researching baby stuff was my form of nesting and I organized our list with a registry, so while I spent a lot of time on it, it wasn’t hard. If that makes sense. On Amazon I added stuff from all the required categories so I could get their free gift, then I deleted stuff we didn’t need. Haha

I’m with you on the eye-stabby feelings when people tell you to sleep! That feeling continued for me once the Bairn arrived and people told me to sleep when he sleeps. Ha! I never managed that… except the one time I was sitting in the rocker and nodded off with my chin resting on his head. Oops.

I found the baby registry to be fun but stressful. I had no idea what I needed, despite all the articles I read and people I talked to. I also had a really hard time picking which one of each thing I wanted – which crib, which stroller, etc. I might have just been too tired from suboptimal sleep for any reviews to really sink in. Looking back at my registry now, there are things I really wish I had added, and others that I laugh at because I didn’t need them at all. I definitely had a live-and-learn experience once the baby came!

• Rae says:

That’s one of the things I’ve heard most from friends is that you don’t want to go crazy with buying/registering for a bunch of stuff because you never know what YOU or YOUR BABY will like/need/want when the time comes. So like I said, going with the basics. And hopefully we’ll get some gift cards too, so that if we have a squalling newborn in hand who’s inconsolable without “x” item, we can just get it.

YAY for movement. Maybe your peanut will nest on your right side in a hilarious fashion like Emmie, lol. As for the registry, I focused on big ticket and must have items–that way you can have fun and style your own kiddo. If you want to see what we listed, go to myregistry.com and search for Lemmer.
    Also, be prepared for alllll the blankets. We received 9 and already had 2 (that were mine from childhood).