Postpartum Update: Weeks 4 & 5

Happy Wednesday! I missed the one month milestone last week, so here’s my update for weeks four and five postpartum.

Physical Stuff
Physical recovery is still going about as well as it could. Thankfully, the itchy stitch situation has abated somewhat. My midwife actually called to say that the results of my test for infection had been inconclusive and that I could take an antibiotic if I wanted to, but I could potentially resolve the situation at home with probiotics and just staying as clean and dry as possible. I chose that route, as I already had a shitload of antibiotics during labor due to my Group B Strep status, and I don’t really want to take more unless it’s absolutely necessary. I’ve been taking a few gulps of kefir every morning with breakfast and so far, so good.

My discomfort levels are continuing to decrease daily, but I’m definitely still a little sore around my stitches. I’m not really bleeding anymore, just dealing with occasional spotting. I’m hoping that this will continue so I can get to postnatal yoga next week. Other than recovery related stuff, I feel pretty good physically. I can handle normal tasks around the house, and Ben and I have been walking. Unfortunately it’s been super hot and humid lately so we haven’t gotten out as much as I’d like. I’m excited to (hopefully) be cleared for exercise at my six week follow up so I can work back up to running.

img_5969

I know my straps are funky. I know how to carry her safely. Thanks!

Sleep continues to be elusive. I know the wisdom is “sleep when baby sleeps,” but I think most moms know that’s kind of bullshit. When she’s napping, I’m eating, hydrating, using the bathroom, and trying to accomplish at least one non-baby related thing so I don’t feel like my entire world revolves around her. Also, I’m a terrible napper, so there’s that. Thankfully, we’ve reached the point where even though she’s still waking up every two hours during the night to feed, she generally goes right back to sleep after, which is a blessing.

Breastfeeding
We had our one month follow up with the Lactation Consultant, and she went over pumping with us. GAME. CHANGER. I can now pump bottles for Ben to give Vera, meaning I can occasionally sleep through a nighttime feeding, or leave the house for longer than 45 minutes. Ben is also super happy that he can now, in his words, “appease” her more easily, since he has the option to feed her. She has taken to the bottle with no issues, and while pumping basically feels like I’m milking myself, it’s not uncomfortable.

Emotional Stuff
I went into town ALL BY MYSELF, not once but TWICE during week five, woohoo! I was away from the house and Vera for a whole three hours. It was emotional and weird, but also really good for my mental well being. It was nice to feel like a normal person and just go do some errands like I would have pre-baby. And then hurry home for baby snuggles 🙂

img_5972

I went and got my nose pierced sans baby!

The next hurdle I need to get over is going somewhere with Vera WITHOUT Ben’s support. Thus far, I haven’t taken any car rides with her without Ben there to help. I’m hoping to take her to postnatal yoga this week so I can rip the band-aid off sooner rather than later. Ben goes back to work in less than two weeks, so I need to be okay taking Vera in the car with me.

I have to confess, I’m starting to feel some anxiety about Ben going back to work and being home alone with Vera. I’ve always hoped to be a stay at home mom, but I fully recognize that it will be very challenging. I need to start thinking now about ways to stay busy, get out of the house, and not become a shut-in.

Miscellaneous
We took our first “road trip” down to Quechee to visit my parents because my sister Haley was visiting from Michigan. We fully intended to do a straightforward there-and-back same day trip, but we were having so much fun and my family was so excited to have us there that we decided to stay overnight! We had everything we could have needed for Baby V, so we just pulled the proverbial trigger. The only thing I wish we had brought was the baby monitor, but otherwise it was smooth sailing.

It feels really good to have cleared these new parent hurdles relatively early in the game. If we let it go too long it would have been easy to build it up as a scarier event than it really was.

Any wisdom from fellow stay-at-home-moms to ease my worries?

8 thoughts on “Postpartum Update: Weeks 4 & 5

1. veryrach says:

I’m not a stay-at-home mom, but I do work from home. I think just planning stuff with other people really helps me stay on track during the day, and get out and be social. I loved your “i’m not a regular mom, I’m a cool mom” shot hahahaha awesome

• Rae says:

Haha, thanks! I have a few local friends, so I’m hoping that will help me stay active. That, and our local library has a story hour once a week, yay!

Rae, you’re looking amazing, and it sounds like you’re killing this mom stuff 🙂 Serious props to you for making sure you’re doing some non-baby stuff and getting out and about… that’s so important. I was scared/nervous/unwilling to do either for a long time and it definitely affected me. I was also so terrified when Drew went back to work and I was home all day with the Bairn! While I’m not a full-time SAHM, I’ve definitely learned (both from SAHM friends and from my maternity leave, and even the two days I’m home with the Bairn) that connecting with other moms is key. People talk about finding a village, and I really wish I had been more proactive about that early on. Mom groups, library story time, already existing friends who are moms… they are great connections to have, whether to have people to ask for advice, bounce ideas off, or just to have someone to go to the park with who “gets it” and the whole mom thing. Finding moms who aren’t judgy and into the whole “mommy wars” is also key :-p

• Rae says:

GREAT advice, thank you! Some neighbors of ours had a baby in April, so I think we’ll be hitting them up for advice and play dates a lot.

3. Anna @ Piper's Run says:

Sounds like things are going really well. I did a lot of sitz baths which helped with the stitches healing.

I was so nervous taking my oldest out the week after my husband went to work. It worked out just fine, plan ahead (pack what you’ll need and then an extra diaper or two, haha). I also had a mom group that we got together every single Monday. We all made something to eat, put luck style and would rotate between houses. It was my favourite day of the week – Funday Monday. It also took away the stress of my husband going back to work, I had something to look forward to.

• Rae says:

My yoga studio does a new moms group every Tuesday, and I know I will be hitting that up frequently. It’s great to talk to other moms who are also in the thick of it.

You totally will be fine when Ben goes back to work. Seriously. Yes, there will be soooo many times where you go slightly or not so slightly bonkers, but how can it POSSIBLY be harder than when you were working full time, rehearsing and performing, and training for a marathon???
    Give yourself grace and also try to get out of the house as much as possuble!
    Jealous that V is taking the bottle so well…

• Rae says:

When you put it like that… I have dealt with a lot of business/stress at a time before. And yes, we are counting ourselves VERY lucky that both bottle and boob are going well!